STDs - Sexually Transmitted Diseases
These are infections caused by various microorganisms that get into the body usually through sexual intercourse.
Common STDs today
There are different types of STDs prevalent today, and some examples are as follows:
- HIV - caused by a virus known as the Human Immunodeficiency Virus
- Gonorrhea - caused by a bacterium Syphilis - another bacterial STD
- Chlamydia - a very common STD-caused bacteria
- Hepatitis C - caused by the Hepatitis C virus
- Hepatitis B - caused by the Hepatitis B virus
Modes of transmission of STDs
If you want to keep yourself safe from these diseases, it is best to know how they are spread or transmitted. Here are the most common methods of STD transmission:
- Unprotected sex - those who engage in anal, oral, or vaginal sex without using condoms with someone who has an STD may contract the disease
- Sharing of drug paraphernalia - if a drug addict who has an STD shares needles and syringes with other drug addicts who are STD-free, the latter may also get infected
- Mother to infant - a pregnant woman who contracts an STD may pass it on to her infant while pregnant or during delivery or breastfeed
To ensure that you are STD-free, it is advised to get an STD test to know the actual and accurate status of your health. Use a rapid STD test kit to get accurate test results in about 15 to 20 minutes.