What are STDs?
= Sexually Transmitted Diseases
= also known as sexually-transmitted infections or STIs
= there are different types, caused by different microorganisms
Who can get infected with STDs?
Anyone can get infected with STDs, most especially the following people:
1. sexually active males and females
2. those who do not use protection when having sex
3. those with multiple sex partners
4. those that engage in casual sex
5. drug addicts who share needles/paraphernalia with other people
6. an infected mother can pass an STD on to her baby while in the uterus, upon childbirth, or through breastfeeding
7. exposure to infected blood through blood transfusion, organ transplant, or wound to wound contact
It is important that everyone practice the necessary precautions to avoid contract STDs.