AIDS attacks you immune system, making it crash eventually, which opens up a path for other diseases to attack your body, which could in fact lead to detecting the HIV virus, especially if you don’t know that you are infected.
First Symptoms of HIV
These symptoms usually resemble a flu, because they include being tired, headaches, swelling of the lymph nodes in the neck, for example, and fever. But, the symptoms are not the same for everyone, and the experience of these can differ from person to person. On the other hand, HIV virus can stay dormant for years in your system, but it is still possible to transmit it to someone, because the virus is slowly spreading through the body regardless of its dormant state. HIV can therefore attack you brain, your mouth or it can be seen in the skin changes and weight loss.
Signs of HIV on Your Skin
Some of the skin conditions can affect the body of a person infected with HIV virus, and they include:
- Varicella zoster virus (VZV), which is basically a herpes virus that causes chicken pox, for example, and most adults have already been exposed to it in their lives.
- Herpes simplex virus (HSV) is one of the first conditions that got connected with having HIV virus in your body. It causes open wounds all over the body and sometimes manifest as blisters, which can be really painful.
- Kaposi’s sarcoma (KS), which is basically a form of cancer caused by the herpes virus, but healthy people can get infected with KS herpes virus without the cancer being developed in their bodies. One can experience painful swellings, change in skin color, but it can also manifest itself inside your body, on vital organs.
Issues with Oral Hygiene
Your oral hygiene can be largely affected with the HIV virus. Signs are as follows:
- Candidiasis, a fungal infection that develops after HIV person’s infected cell count decreases rapidly. One of the most common signs to notice on your body are white patches inside your mouth.
- Periodontal disease is caused by bacterial infections, regardless of the HIV infection. It manifests itself as fast loss of soft tissue and jaw bone, and at a later stage, it can be noticed as painful ulcers.
- Herpes simplex virus also attacks the mouth, as ulcers inside the mouth. Sometimes it is manifested as genital herpes.
Neural Symptoms of HIV
HIV in a way affects your ability to function mentally, so one can experience dementia, confusion, lack of the ability to process information, and PML, a virus that already exists in the system.
Signs of Weight Loss and Losing Your Appetite
One of the health hazard signs is a rapid weight loss. Everything that counts as an unconscious weight loss of around 10% of a person’s body weight is dangerous to that individual’s health.
There are some very serious conditions that can affect your infected body, but there are also treatments that have come a long way in preventing those conditions.