HIV testing is done to detect the HIV infection. It is a procedure that looks for the presence of HIV antibodies in a person's body.
Types of HIV tests
There are different types of HIV tests. The majority of HIV tests require a patient’s blood sample for examination. Some methods require cell samples from the inside of the mouth.
The ELISA testing method, which stands for Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay Test, is one of the most popular and widely-used HIV testing methods today. It checks the presence of HIV antibodies in a patient’s bodily fluid sample and can return the test result in a couple of weeks.
There is another HIV testing method called rapid HIV testing which is used by many because of its ability to deliver accurate results in a much shorter period of time.
In comparison to ELISA, which takes days or weeks to give back a test result, the rapid HIV testing takes less than 30 minutes. So, if you do not want to wait and have sleepless nights getting anxious about your HIV status, go for rapid HIV testing.
Merits of using rapid testing
Here are some other benefits of using rapid HIV testing:
- - a rapid HIV test kit is small and portable so it can be carried around in your purse
- - the testing can be done without the help of a medical professional
- - the device comes with easy to follow instructions so anyone can conduct the test on their own
- - it can provide highly accurate test result by examining a small amount of bodily fluid sample
- - the test result is available after about 15 minutes