Secondary syphilis is the second stage of the syphilis infection. It occurs if a person who is infected with syphilis fails to get diagnosed and treated early on.
Symptoms of Syphilis in the second stage
Anyone who has secondary syphilis may encounter the following symptoms:
- A rash may appear on the body. It may pop up literally anywhere, but it is most common on the soles of the feet or palms of the hands.
- Swelling of the lymph glands is also a typical symptom of secondary syphilis.
- The beginnings of hair loss may begin and it can be patchy, meaning it is concentrated on one part of the head.
- Some kind of wart-like bump on the anus or genital area. It usually is mistaken for genital warts.
- Headaches, exhaustion, fever, joint pains, and other flu-like signs and symptoms are also common among those that have secondary syphilis.
- People with secondary syphilis may start to lose a significant amount of weight.
During this stage of syphilis, it is of utmost importance that you get a syphilis test to diagnose the disease.
If you test positive, your doctor can provide the appropriate treatment plan right away and get rid of the disease before it does more serious damage to your body.