Hepatitis refers to the group of medical conditions that cause swelling of the liver. It is usually caused by a virus that attacks the liver and leaves it damaged and unable to function correctly.
What are the different kinds of hepatitis?
There are four kinds of hepatitis that are caused by a virus, and they are the following:
- Hepatitis A – this is caused by a virus that can be contracted from contaminated drinks and foods.
- Hepatitis B – this is caused by a virus that can be passed on from one person to another through sexual contact or exposure to infected blood.
- Hepatitis C – this is caused by a virus and is almost similar to Hepatitis B in terms of methods of transmission, and others.
- Delta Hepatitis – this usually coexists with Hepatitis B. It can be contracted through exposure to infected blood.
What are the symptoms of Hepatitis?
There are two different sets of Hepatitis symptoms. The first one is called the Acute Hepatitis symptoms which include the following:
- Dark-colored urine
- Pains in the abdominal area
- Clay-colored bowel movements
The second one is called the Chronic Hepatitis and its symptoms include the following:
- Weight loss
- Swelling of the liver
- Fluid accumulation in the abdominal area
- Easy bruising
- Abnormal bleeding
It is important to get tested for hepatitis once a person experiences any of the symptoms.
How is Hepatitis testing done?
Hepatitis testing is done by acquiring a blood sample of a patient. The blood is examined for traces of the virus and will test positive once it is detected. There are health clinics and hospitals that conduct Hepatitis tests so people are advised to drop by these medical facilities to get a Hepatitis test.
How can you protect yourself from Hepatitis?
People should be aware of the ways they can protect themselves from Hepatitis. They can get Hepatitis vaccinations so that they can avoid suffering from the symptoms and the damages brought about by this infection. They also have to stop having unprotected sex and having multiple sex partners because these put them into a high-risk position of getting infected with Hepatitis.