Being one of the most common sexually-transmitted diseases today, the battle against gonorrhea continues as more and more people are getting infected with it. It is a disease that we should all protect ourselves from and it should be stopped from spreading and infection more men, women, kids, and adults.
What is gonorrhea?
Gonorrhea is an STD caused by the bacterium called Neisseria gonorrhoeae. It thrives in dark and moist areas of the body, especially in the organs of the reproductive system. It can affect all of us --- adults, kids, males, and females.
What are the symptoms of gonorrhea?
There are many symptoms that manifest once a person gets infected with gonorrhea. Some of the most common are enumerated below:
- Swelling of the testicles
- Strange discharge from the penis or vagina
- Bleeding in between menstrual periods
- Pain or stinging sensation when urinating
- Strange discharge coming out of the anus
- Foul-smelling discharge from the penis or vagina
What should I do when I manifest some of the symptoms of gonorrhea?
You have to get tested! Testing for gonorrhea is necessary once you experience any of the symptoms enumerated above. Early diagnosis of gonorrhea is crucial because it can help determine the state of your health and how it should be treated.
What are the kinds of gonorrhea tests?
There are several ways for testing for gonorrhea and the following are some of the most commonly used:
- Nucleic Acid Hybridization Test – this method of testing for gonorrhea is also known as the DNA probe test. It is done by acquiring body fluid samples from the infected areas of the gonorrhea patient.
- Gonorrhea Culture – this method of gonorrhea testing is done by acquiring body fluid samples from the urethra, throat, eye, rectum, cervix, or some other affected body part of the gonorrhea patient.
- Nucleic Acid Amplification Test – this is frequently written as NAAT. It looks for the genetic material of the gonorrhea bacteria by acquiring body fluid samples from the patient.
How is gonorrhea treated?
The treatment for gonorrhea is antibiotics. These antibiotics fight off the bacteria that caused the gonorrhea infection. There are several kinds of antibiotics prescribed to gonorrhea patients depending on how the patient’s body reacts to the medication. You have to consult a doctor to know what the best gonorrhea treatment is for you.