It is very important that men who have gonorrhea seek treatment right away to avoid the various severe complications this sexually-transmitted disease can bring.
Complications due to negligence
Here are examples of health problems a man may encounter if prompt diagnosis and treatment of gonorrhea are not done:
- Epididymitis - this disease is characterized by an inflammation and infection of the long, tightly coiled tube found behind each testicle known as epididymis and functions as the body's sperm collector.
- Prostatitis - this disease is characterized by an inflammation of the prostate gland.
- Disseminated gonococcal infection (DGI) - this disease happens once the gonorrhea infection reaches other body parts, like the heart, bloodstream, joints, and skin. It can cause the following complications:
- Cellulitis - a type of skin infection
- Sepsis - a type of infection in the bloodstream
- Arthritis - usually affects the hands and knees
- Endocarditis - an inflammation and infection of the chambers and valves of the heart
- Meningitis - a type of infection that strikes the brain and spinal cord tissues and fluid
So, to keep yourself away from these terrible diseases, you should be ready to get gonorrhea tested on a regular basis to be able to detect this infection at the earliest opportunity.