The tragic case of carelessness

Six hundred six students from the University of Derby have been put in danger of HIV after a health worker committed mistakes while conducting clinical procedures.

According to reports, a member of the medical staff at the university failed to observe and follow the correct medical protocols while handling the students, providing vaccinations, blood tests, and others. The worker failed to replace the syringe barrels used, for the past eight years. As a result, 606 students, who were attended to by the health worker from September 2005 to October 2013, are now at risk of HIV, hepatitis, and other diseases.

The university has contacted all students and advised them to undergo HIV screening to make sure that they have not contracted HIV or other diseases. The investigation is ongoing, and the university has apologized for the carelessness. The health worker is has been suspended.

Other ways you can get HIV

HIV is one of the most notorious sexually-transmitted diseases today. It is frequently passed on from one person to another through sexual contact, but it can also be transmitted through blood and sharing of used needles and syringes.

Today, there are several millions of people that suffer from this infection all over the world. HIV treatment is quite expensive so many are not able to avail and end up suffering the severe complications, including AIDS.

It is important to get an HIV test as soon as possible. Use a rapid HIV test kit by STD Rapid Test Kits for fast, efficient, accurate, and safe HIV testing.