Chlamydia is a type of sexually transmitted infection and is also a bacterial infection which is caused by bacteria named Chlamydia trachomatis. The other source by which it can be caused is from the Chlamydiaceae family. C.trachomatis. The only place where these bacteria can live is in human cells. The ways by which this bacterium can be passed to other humans are:
- Vaginal sex
- Anal sex
- Oral sex
- It can be passed from a pregnant mother to her infant
Complications related to Chlamydia
Even though Chlamydia is not a disease due to which we have any threat regarding our life. The main causes of this disease are the irritation and aching in the private parts, it can easily be treated. The difficulty occurs when Chlamydia is not treated properly on time and left untreated for a long time period. The infected person due to its active sexual life is still interpreted to further sexually transmitted infection. Followings are some complications of Chlamydia
- Eye disease – It is one of the utmost severe side effects when Chlamydia is not treated on time this is actually known as Chlamydia conjunctivitis or trachoma. This is merely blindness and is one of the major reasons for blindness all over the world. The way by which this eye infection can be transmitted from one to other is that when the hands touched the eye of the infected person and after that touched the other.
- Reactive arthritis –Chlamydia when not treated especially amongst men then it can lead towards conjunctivitis, arthritis, and urethral irritation. In the only US, at most 15,000 men are suffering from immediate arthritis because of the reason that their Chlamydia infection was not treated on time. It can also affect the women but this type of situation is more common amongst men.
- Conjunctivitis among newborns – Newborns that born to a mother who is infected with Chlamydia can get Conjunctivitis as untimely as one week after birth. The newborns of the infected mother are more likely to have Chlamydia infection. While the women who are pregnant and have Chlamydia infection are at the high threat that she might have an early birth.
- Lymphogranuloma venereum or lymph nodes infection – if Chlamydia infection remains untreated then it can lead towards infection of nodes and
lymphatics. This infection is noticeable by rectal irritation and having engorged lymph nodes.
Treatment of Chlamydia
If Chlamydia is treated properly on time then it can be removed very fast within one year. 90% of the time though, it takes three years to completely clear out the body of Chlamydia bacteria. If someone wanted to treat a Chlamydia infection, then the patient who is suspecting has to go throughout a test or screening. The tests that are helpful for deciding Chlamydia infections are:
- Polymerase chain reaction (PCR)
- DNA strand displacement amplification (SDA)
- Transcription mediated amplification (TMA)
For who seek screening is necessary?
The people who have an active sex life and is adventurous then it is recommended to them that they should have to screen for Chlamydia infection because anal sex is very common for them. Screening for Chlamydia can be helpful for the government to avert more difficulties of an infection that doesn’t have any symptoms. It also plans to diminish hazard of infecting other people. Because of this, we will make sure that the people who have been cleared from Chlamydia remain clear for a long time.